Monday, March 11, 2013

The Power of Uninterrupted Play

I have been following Janet Lansbury Elevating Childcare for a while now on Facebook. She follows an RIE approach. What I gain from reading her posts is the importance of letting kids play without any interruptions. Interruptions can come from anywhere but the biggest interruption in our house was ME! I thought I was helping her imaginative play but many times I was getting in the way of the plan she was working. This does not mean that I am no longer in the room, in fact it is quite the opposite. I am observing AJ and finding out what she is interested in and trying to make sense of. Sometimes she looks at me to confirm what she is doing, but mostly it is just her playing. AJ gets all her ideas on her own and most are things that we do or she sees mom or dad do. So cute!

In the first picture AJ is having the animals get into the tractor and go back and forth to grandma's house (the brown basket) The did this for no less than 25 minutes. The second is AJ paying the meter (can you tell we live in the city). She found a few coins and uses the door handle hole as the meter. I just love the creativity. So much better than having a toy parking meter.





No comments:

Post a Comment